Parts of Accra Technical University’s Radio station, Radio ATU, burnt down yesterday due to faulty air-conditioners and cables.
The fire which started around 4 pm on Tuesday, February 28, 2023, was extinguished by the Ghana National Fire Service before it could spread to other blocks.
Speaking to Univers News, the President of the Students Representative Council of ATU, Damesi Este Kofi revealed that the workers were made to evacuate the building once smoke was detected.
“The fire started from our Radio station, there were media personnel using the place for routine programs. It started from the air condition, the hole connected from the back end to the main source to give all the condition was with smoke. So immediately the boys had to off all the switches at the radio station, but the smoke was increasing. So then we had to call the fire service to come in and in less than five minutes they came but because the place was sound proof and made of wood, all the place caught fire. fortunately , no casualties were recorded because we detected the smoke as early as possible we asked everyone to evacuate the building.”
“The mixtures in the radio room , every equipment, the microphone, monitors, everything is burnt. We have been advised not to go there yet, maybe later then we can check items that did not burn.”
The Ghana National Fire Service say they are assessing the cause and damages and will communicate their findings in due time.
Meanwhile, the management of the University visited the scene and urged students to remain calm.
Part of the Accra Technical University SRC Complex were engulfed in a fire outbreak earlier today, 4:20 pm.— Univers TV (@univers1057fm) February 28, 2023
The National Fire Service has extinguished the fire and calm restored
The SRC has attributed the fire outbreak to faulty air-conditioners. #UniversNews #UGIS75 pic.twitter.com/7uY6ogSxXR
Story by; Gideon Nicholas Day | univers.ug.edu.gh