Faulty gadgets caused fire outbreak at Radio ATU – SRC Prez

Gideon Nicholas Day
Gideon Nicholas Day
3 Min Read

President of the Students Representative Council of Accra Technical University, Damesi Este Kofi, has ascribed the fire outbreak at the school’s radio station to faulty electronic gadgets.

On Tuesday, February 28, 2023, there was a  fire outbreak at parts of Accra Technical University’s Radio station, Radio ATU which destroyed devices in the studio. The fire which started around 4 pm on Tuesday was extinguished by the Ghana National Fire Service  before it could spread to other blocks.

Speaking to Univers News, the President of the Students Representative Council of ATU, Damesi Este Kofi said the fire started from faulty air conditioners in the premises.

“It started from the air condition, the hole connected from the back end to the main source to give all the condition was with smoke. So immediately the boys had to off all the switches at the radio station, but the  smoke was increasing. So then we had to call the fire service to come in and in less than five minutes they came but because  the place was sound proof and made of  wood,  all the place caught fire. fortunately , no casualties were recorded because we detected the smoke as early as possible we asked everyone to evacuate the building.”
He added that most of the items in the studio have been destroyed by the fire.

“The mixtures in the radio room , every equipment, the microphone, monitors, everything is burnt. We have been advised not to go there yet, maybe later then we can check items that did not burn.”

The Ghana National Fire Service say they are assessing the cause and damages and will communicate their findings in due time. Meanwhile, the management of the University visited the scene and urged students to remain calm.

Story by; Gideon Nicholas Day | univers.ug.edu.gh

Share this Article
Leave a comment